Saturday, March 28, 2009

Potting on...

... is very therapeutic. When the baby went for her afternoon nap yesterday I left one of the teenagers listening out for her and then went to shut myself in the garden room with a radio, a flask and my laundry basket full of seed paraphernalia (John Innes No.1, a box of seeds, canvas gloves, a little trowel, some tiny pots, a water spraying bottle, etc.)



It's really just the brassica that I'm bothering with potting on, because that's the only crop family that likes to have its roots disturbed on a regular basis. So I had some cabbage, cauli and brussels seedlings



to move up a size:



I must be getting old, for such a job to give me so much pleasure.

Anyway, then I just stuffed new seeds back into their places, shock horror. Is that the gardening equivalent of being a slutty housewife, I wonder? Sweeping all the dust under one's sofa? If so, guilty as charged. These plants should consider themselves lucky I'm going to the trouble of potting them on. I'm certainly not about to throw trays of good compost away and sterilise everything to start again with the next lot.

Oh dear, perhaps horticulture isn't my forté after all. Well, I've always been a bit hit and miss with it all. The main thing, in my opinion, is that it should be rewarding and enjoyable. When it starts being a pain in the neck, it's gone too far I think.

The tomato, courgette and butternut squash seeds aren't doing a thing yet. I think it must be too cold out there for them to germinate, so we'll just have to wait for the weather to warm up I suppose, because to try and heat our garden room would be like heating the sky.

5 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

I'm terrible at sterilising anything! Or potting on for that matter.

I've not bothered starting the courgettes or squashes yet, will wait a couple more weeks until it starts to warm up. Otherwise you just end up with leggy plants desperate to go outside just as the weather decides to have one last snow.

I said I wasn't going to grow much this year as right now I'm 38 weeks pregnant so new baby for when most of the work is, but seem to have failed and have trays of stuff germinating!!

March 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

Oh wow, I didn't realise you were so pregnant Em! I should try to get around more blogs ;-)

March 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Ann-Marie Dewhurst said...

I really should start organising! xxx

March 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Mieke said...

If the weather has been anywhere near as nice at yours as it was up here, I bet you've been outside a lot today :). Lot of seeds of wisdom in this post, Gill :).

March 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Gill said...

No Mieke, had sick child who couldn't be taken outside or left with the others :( It seems to be the month for it, here!

And I was *so* looking forward to the good weather! Hope there will be more days like it.

March 30, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home